Which do you recommend for Ancients?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jan 22 12 4:12 PM

Re: Rule sets

Hi

I only really play (and enjoy) DBA these days for ancients. Big Battle DBA is good fun but doesn't get much of an outing.

Other sets:

I believe that some currently prefer 'Impetus' as a rule set. As I have not played them I'll leave comment on them to others.

The largest following recently has been Field of Glory (FoG) with a following in NSW & VIC. I have played a lot of this in recent years but I've found that my enjoyment factor (EF) has fallen away dramatically.

There is a small following for DBMM, a Phil Barker development in the DBX series, but mostly in the ACT and QLD. I've played version 1 of this, I think there is a good game somewhere in there but cannot stomach reading the rules. Version 2 came out pretty quickly, I don't expect my opinion will change but I have not played them.

I'm unsure what set is currently dominant in SA and WA, if any.

Regards

Stephen

'Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.'
'Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana'
Groucho Marx

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 22 12 4:58 PM

is this a "put on the popcorn, get out the comfy chair "sort of post?

&
"You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!" Joseph Heller
&

"Whew. Man, look, I gotta get out of here, man. Now we - we got things we want to do, man, like - I just - uh - I gotta get out of here, man."
&
dare pondus idonea fumo
Fit only to give weight to smoke

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jan 22 12 7:20 PM

Fields of glory bores me to tears Hail Ceasar gets my vote can't vouch for Impetus but I like the look of their basing

Let's get dangerous.
Grand Order of the Wombat, 1st Class,with Acacia Clasp, Hoche-Affeburg

Quote    Reply   

Tarty

#5 [url]

Jan 22 12 7:47 PM

Ashur_dan wrote:

I have played a lot of this in recent years but I've found that my enjoyment factor (EF) has fallen away dramatically.

that's no good AD......although I'm actually not so surprised, in that a few other FoG players are saying the same thing of late ( on forums etc ). I've moved away from Armarti recently for the same reasons," EF had fallen away dramtically ", but still do play it on occasions. Impetus is the go now for me, if I wont a real game of ancients.......as you know

ps I think Force on Force is the most intersting thing coming out of the Osprey stables at the mo.....IMHO

Language is a virus from outer space.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jan 23 12 1:06 AM

Thank you Gentlemen,

GWZ I am still in for Armati, picked up the bases from Kingsgrove couple of days ago. Assyrians and Greeks being done that way..

Always good to get a feel for what others are doing........

Tarty agree on the FOF

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jan 23 12 9:03 AM

christo wrote:
Thank you Gentlemen,

GWZ I am still in for Armati, picked up the bases from Kingsgrove couple of days ago. Assyrians and Greeks being done that way..

Always good to get a feel for what others are doing........

Tarty agree on the FOF

you went and saw Daniel at Ezy board?...very helpful bloke...what size are Armati bases?

&
"You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!" Joseph Heller
&

"Whew. Man, look, I gotta get out of here, man. Now we - we got things we want to do, man, like - I just - uh - I gotta get out of here, man."
&
dare pondus idonea fumo

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jan 24 12 2:01 PM

oh yes very helpful..did you mention me to Daniel?

&
&

&
dare pondus idonea fumo

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 24 12 10:54 PM

No I didn't, i found out about the place from JD..

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jan 24 12 11:44 PM

right .. I get all my bases cut there..what thickness ?

&
&

&
dare pondus idonea fumo

Quote    Reply   

Tarty

#12 [url]

Jan 25 12 12:47 PM

Cardinal Hawkwood wrote:
is this a "put on the popcorn, get out the comfy chair "sort of post?

Language is a virus from outer space.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jan 25 12 9:45 PM

christo wrote:
Very droll Tarty

batch i picked up was 6mm

will try some 3mm next time

@GWZ love the ferret

6mm is good for a variety of reasons..

&
&

&
dare pondus idonea fumo

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jan 25 12 10:14 PM

greatwhitezulu wrote:
Well, I have decided to go with Hoplon 3 which is now a free download, as are the lists and cheat sheets etc. It has national characteristics as well

and you will never ever play a game with them...noe if they are orcs..

&
&

&
dare pondus idonea fumo

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jan 25 12 10:18 PM

Cardinal Hawkwood wrote:
greatwhitezulu wrote:
Well, I have decided to go with Hoplon 3 which is now a free download, as are the lists and cheat sheets etc. It has national characteristics as well

and you will never ever play a game with them...noe if they are orcs..

like all the other sets I have. Picked up some Korean War rules as well today. Most complicated weapons template i have seen...

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jan 25 12 10:39 PM

you need help..hmm Oleg Hai..

&
&

&
dare pondus idonea fumo

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help