Gentlemen I seek information on the state of Napoleonics

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Hengist

Officer Cadet

Lead

Feb 3 12 10:17 PM

Tags : :

Hi all, having been collecting 15mm Napoleonics for years, I find it about time I used them in anger, rather than just rebasing every 4 years or so..

I am largely interested in Grand Tactical and have dickered with VnB & GA, but need just a little more 'battalion level' detail (yes, I know these are almost exclusive, but my erstwhile opponent won't play unless he get squares, columns and lines)

Napoleon's Battles seems OK, but it appears I am some 10 years too late.

A local gentlemen offered to run me through a game, but didn't respond when I sent contact details....

I note that their seems to be more 25/28mm players, so maybe it is time to sell the excess ancients and FOW and invest in a new army.

But, what rules seem prevalent now?

Steve
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 4 12 7:41 AM

Re: Gentlemen I seek information on the state of Napoleonics

Hi Steve

Where are you located?

Regards

Stephen

'Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.'
'Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana'
Groucho Marx

Quote    Reply   

Hengist

#2 [url]

Feb 4 12 12:36 PM

Stupid of me, I am located near Gosford on the NSW Central Coast, approx 85km North of Sydney.

Cheers

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 4 12 4:35 PM

Steve, Stephen might be your man(this is starting to sound like a python sketch)

&
"You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!" Joseph Heller
&

"Whew. Man, look, I gotta get out of here, man. Now we - we got things we want to do, man, like - I just - uh - I gotta get out of here, man."
&
dare pondus idonea fumo
Fit only to give weight to smoke

Quote    Reply   

Tarty

#4 [url]

Feb 4 12 5:09 PM

Hengist wrote:
Hi all, having been collecting 15mm Napoleonics for years, I find it about time I used them in anger, rather than just rebasing every 4 years or so..

I am largely interested in Grand Tactical and have dickered with VnB & GA, but need just a little more 'battalion level' detail (yes, I know these are almost exclusive, but my erstwhile opponent won't play unless he get squares, columns and lines)

Napoleon's Battles seems OK, but it appears I am some 10 years too late.

A local gentlemen offered to run me through a game, but didn't respond when I sent contact details....

I note that their seems to be more 25/28mm players, so maybe it is time to sell the excess ancients and FOW and invest in a new army.

But, what rules seem prevalent now?

Steve

The question on everyones lips right now Hengist. Lasalle, Napoleon at War and Black Powder seem to be "in" at the moment with Fields of Glory Napoleonics just around the corner.......if not here already. Volley & Bayonet ? (which you mentioned ), now there's a set of rules of which I'm a big fan of and IMHO are -" the" - grand tactical rule set.....look no further, however hard to find players As for 15/18mm ? great scale for Napoleonics and plenty of people out there with armies......like me ! and Ashur dan, we have been known to have the odd game together.

Language is a virus from outer space.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 4 12 6:44 PM

Tarty, I''d always be up for a game of VnB, it was your version of Austerlitz that converted me, all those years ago even though we were playing with "wooden blocks" goes to show how a great system can work and give an excellent game without the figures, probably should be more, I have played a Simmons board game of Marengo, a block system and no dice and a great game too.

"guns are used only as a last resort, we are Phantom Seagulls"

Quote    Reply   

Hengist

#6 [url]

Feb 4 12 8:58 PM

Tarty and Phantom Agent, where so you play?
VnB is my preference for Grand Tactical, and I have made a large number of sabots etc to play...
My entire collection was based to VnB, but I decided to try Lasalle, based all my Austrians, then decided against....alas...

The only reason I am looking for another set is that my only known local opponent, won't play Naps without lines, columns and squares (and my figures)

Please PM me...

Steve

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 5 12 8:35 AM

Mate,

Play AWRG. They are free on the forum AWRG and come with free quick reference sheets.
In that game you get lines, columns and squares.

Most people I know have at least one army still based for the rules and 12 figure battalions work.
Alternatively you could do what alot of others do and chase the perfect set of rules spending $100's of dollars to realise they were in front of you all along.

My preference is AWRG for 25/28mm Napoleonics and M&R for SYW.

Bye the Bye I live in Liverpool and play both systems.

Cheers

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Feb 5 12 8:44 AM

Yep AWRG although a certain gentleman of the cloth may disapprove. I have 2 based for AWRG and one on 40x40 square bases which rules like British Grenadier Black Powder etc seem to be going for. Rules are free another bonus

DW

Let's get dangerous.
Grand Order of the Wombat, 1st Class,with Acacia Clasp, Hoche-Affeburg

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Feb 5 12 10:54 AM

I use General de brigade and in the grand manner in 28mm, and big batns look great, more of a social set rather than a mm competition game!

I have someone in Newcastle looking for a 15mm Napoleonic player, I think he is using Naps batts at the moment, I will pm you with his details!

cheers
matt

Quote    Reply   

Hengist

#10 [url]

Feb 6 12 6:04 PM

Very greatly appreciated.

Steve

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Feb 6 12 7:17 PM

As usual all in a flux..I may have to do something about that..Dave!!!!!

&
"You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!" Joseph Heller
&

"Whew. Man, look, I gotta get out of here, man. Now we - we got things we want to do, man, like - I just - uh - I gotta get out of here, man."
&
dare pondus idonea fumo

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Feb 6 12 9:11 PM

"Dave"?

Moi?

Well if it is me, Daffy of Yass, I have had a rethink on Might & Reason Napoleonics.

The thought occurred to me that the basic problem with Napoleonic rules is that they do not represent the ebb and flow of battle; it was kinda organic and various parts of an army, let's say corps would shift and the opponent would possibly react. The reaction may result in the action being halted; indeed it may result in the initiative changing. However, most rule sets reflect the convenience of alternate movement mechanisms; so player "A" carries out an action and player "B" reacts. Immediately. I suspect it has to do with a linear time scale as well.

I am developing my thoughts and if they lead anywhere, apart from a dark orifice, I will share them with you.

BTW, I am not overly concerned with combat mechanisms, most have their merits, it is how the _battle_ is managed. I actually think Black Powder has this telescoping of time at the heart of the system, but is dependent on die rolls not reactions.

I will keep you posted. offline.

David W

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Feb 6 12 9:14 PM

mostly in agreement..M&R captures that command dynamic , which I think is what you are talking about..all the rest just falls into place from that point...

&
&

&
dare pondus idonea fumo

Quote    Reply   

Tarty

#15 [url]

Feb 6 12 10:56 PM

can't be that good......why is he bringing out Maurice ?

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Feb 7 12 6:21 AM

Hi Richard

I don't know, I have recently played my first three games of M&R and have become quite enthused. Well to the extent I have purchased figures for yet another period! (but only one scale!!)

I cannot see why a card driven system would either enhance or develop further M&R. I suspect it is the 'imaginations' aspect.

Regards

Stephen

'Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.'
'Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana'
Groucho Marx

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Feb 7 12 6:24 AM

Maurice is a tactical game at the same level as LaSalle(units battlaions, cavalry regiments) ; Might & reason is a grandtactical game (untis brigades).

David W

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Feb 7 12 7:47 AM

Tarty wrote:
can't be that good......why is he bringing out Maurice ?

to cater to those who love the obesity of those fiddly schizophrenic "I am a sergeant major, and a mighty general on a big white horse as well , in charge of a great army "(of 12 battalions)games systems with big those battalions that ,in Freudian terms must be overcpmpensation for something, (strap on the flashing light , doff your clobber and get streaking down the street....)and to make a bit of dosh..M&R forever, and ever//

&
&

&
dare pondus idonea fumo

Quote    Reply   

Tarty

#19 [url]

Feb 7 12 8:10 AM

Ashur_dan wrote:
Hi Richard

I don't know, I have recently played my first three games of M&R and have become quite enthused. Well to the extent I have purchased figures for yet another period! (but only one scale!!)

I cannot see why a card driven system would either enhance or develop further M&R. I suspect it is the 'imaginations' aspect.

" Figure Junkie ".... yes looking forward to giving M&R a spin around the block.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Feb 7 12 8:16 AM

tarty you will love it..if willow comes arounf and helps clean up the front room ..games galore!!!

&
&

&
dare pondus idonea fumo

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help