http://rctlittlesoldiers.blogspot.com/

And she said to me "You haven't bought more little men have you ?"

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

Feb 18 12 8:42 PM

Re: US Armoured Battalion

just so, and with a brush and very dark grey paint I presume..

&
"You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!" Joseph Heller
&

"Whew. Man, look, I gotta get out of here, man. Now we - we got things we want to do, man, like - I just - uh - I gotta get out of here, man."
&
dare pondus idonea fumo
Fit only to give weight to smoke

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 18 12 9:22 PM

greatwhitezulu wrote:
Would you share how you did the chipping? please.....

Chipping is really quite easy. Just a bit of experimentation first.

I take a bit of the soft open foam that is often in miniatures blister packs against the card back, rip a small piece off that has an irregular edge and dip that in Vallejo Dark German Brown. Get most of the paint off on a piece of paper until it is leaving lots of small dots and then apply that to tank. I hold the foam with tweezers usually. Also on these ones I use a thin paint brush to put some edges to some of the chipping.

Let me know if not clear and I will try and manufacture a picture.

Richard

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 18 12 9:39 PM

Hi Richard

Well done! As a modeller from way back 'chipping' is a well known method and you do it every well. What do you use for the antenna?

Regards

Stephen

'Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.'
'Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana'
Groucho Marx

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 18 12 9:55 PM

rct75001 wrote:
greatwhitezulu wrote:
Would you share how you did the chipping? please.....

Chipping is really quite easy. Just a bit of experimentation first.

I take a bit of the soft open foam that is often in miniatures blister packs against the card back, rip a small piece off that has an irregular edge and dip that in Vallejo Dark German Brown. Get most of the paint off on a piece of paper until it is leaving lots of small dots and then apply that to tank. I hold the foam with tweezers usually. Also on these ones I use a thin paint brush to put some edges to some of the chipping.

Let me know if not clear and I will try and manufacture a picture.

Richard

Excellent - seen that on 1/35th stuff. Works well at this scale as well!

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 18 12 10:07 PM

aerials look like fishing line? I use a washing up brush , clip em off, use a pin vise to drill a hole , supa glue in place..cheap as .and enough "whip" to survive

&
"You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!" Joseph Heller
&

"Whew. Man, look, I gotta get out of here, man. Now we - we got things we want to do, man, like - I just - uh - I gotta get out of here, man."
&
dare pondus idonea fumo

Quote    Reply   

Chuckie

#9 [url]

Feb 20 12 10:52 PM

They are a treat. What make was the M5's.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Feb 21 12 2:14 PM

Just curious, why you put chipping on the tanks, I have seen a couple of interviews with former tankers from WW2 and they mentioned it's one of the things modellers consistently get wrong as they always carried a tin of paint to cover up the chips & wear and tear on a tank. The said it was to keep things as smooth as possible or something like that as they worried that any indent/irregularity would catch a shell and do more damage.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Feb 21 12 6:05 PM

akula_au wrote:
Just curious, why you put chipping on the tanks, I have seen a couple of interviews with former tankers from WW2 and they mentioned it's one of the things modellers consistently get wrong as they always carried a tin of paint to cover up the chips & wear and tear on a tank. The said it was to keep things as smooth as possible or something like that as they worried that any indent/irregularity would catch a shell and do more damage.

Why I put it on is because I think it adds to the look - its a personal decision as I know others who don't.

While I have not scoured the various books I have looking for evidence to support it, I look at my (wife's) car in sydney's eastern suburbs and see lots of chips on it and she is not pushing it through hedgerows and having small arms ammunition bouncing off - so I think it is not beyond the realms of possibility that they were somewhat worn.

Would love to see any of those interviews as I can't imagine how a paint chip could catch a kinetic round and divert it - but i've only ever played with blanks and never been on a two way range thankfully.

Richard

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Feb 21 12 7:49 PM

I thought it was odd too, it's just somethng that has stuck in my mind and your tanks reminded me of it. I think they where finnish tankers talking about the winter war.

I suspect it's more a battlefield myth than any actual proff of it happening.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Feb 21 12 8:59 PM

It sounds like a "make-work" like painting parade ground rocks and bullet checking. The sort of thing that would bore you rigid, make you grumble at the CO but give you something to do.

With one convulsive bound, he was free!

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Feb 22 12 9:45 AM

as far as I can remember they dodn't bother washing them , let alone repainting chips..most didn't actually last all that long i the field anyway..that famous book written by the repair and recovery bloke..a book I leant to Smy mate Tanarssi and haven't got back indicate that from Normandy to the surrender the armoured division he was responsible for went went through more than 3 times its initial establishment number of tanks..in 11 months...stuarts were very hard hit..

&
&

&
dare pondus idonea fumo

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help